Florida Atlantic will play their first game of the 2012-2013 season in Chapel Hill on November 11 against AP Preseason 11th ranked North Carolina. The Owls have put together a squad that they hope can match the performance of last season's team. They lose 57% of last season's player minutes and hope to make that up with the efforts of seven incoming freshmen.
Florida Atlantic will experience their biggest drop-off on offense, as the team lost 84.2% of their assists. Following that is steals, where they drop another huge 64.1% from last season's numbers.
Florida Atlantic finished last year with an overall record of 11-18 and were 7th in the Sun Belt East with a conference record of 7-9. The Owls would go on to lose to Arkansas State 70-55 in the Sun Belt tournament. Florida Atlantic lost last year's seniors Alex Tucker (24 minutes per game), Shavar Richardson (19 MPG), and Jelani Floyd (2 MPG). The Owls will also have to live without Raymond Taylor (transferred to Florida International), Kore White (transferred to South Florida), Omari Grier (transferred to Bradley), and Dennis Mavin (transferred to Florida International).
Coming back to the Owls are senior Greg Gantt (14.0 points/game), junior Pablo Bertone (1.1 assists/game), sophomore Kelvin Penn (1.5 blocked shots/game), senior Jordan McCoy (4.7 points/game), and junior Andre Mattison (1.7 points/game).
The Owls pick up incoming freshmen including 6-2 Austin Hunt, 6-1 Cavon Baker, 6-8 Devonte Thornton, 6-8 Javier Lacunza, 6-4 Jackson Trapp, and 6-8 Chris Bryant. Other players joining the team include 7-0 junior Dragan Sekelja (transferred from Baylor) and 6-9 junior Justin Raffington (transferred from San Francisco).
The Owls have two games on the schedule against AP preseason Top 25 teams, at #11 North Carolina on November 11th and at #1 Indiana on December 21st. Florida Atlantic will begin Sun Belt play on November 29th against South Alabama.
Tags: Alex Tucker
- Since 2002, Florida Atlantic has an overall winning percentage of 41.4%. The Owls have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 42.6%.
- The Owls have an average conference finish of 4.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 5.8.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 189.0.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is North Carolina (#4).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Louisiana-Monroe (#315).
- The last time Florida Atlantic returned less than 40% of the team's statistical production was 2000-2001.
, Shavar Richardson
, Jelani Floyd
, Raymond Taylor
, Kore White
, Omari Grier
, Dennis Mavin
, Greg Gantt
, Pablo Bertone
, Kelvin Penn
, Jordan McCoy
, Andre Mattison
, Austin Hunt
, Cavon Baker
, DeVonte Thornton
, Javier Lacunza
, Jackson Trapp
, Chris Bryant
, Stefan Moody
, Dragan Sekelja
, Justin Raffington